Hi, I’m Emma Cave
As a society, I’ve always believed that understanding and being interested in the lives of our children should be one of our main priorities. In my experience, if their mental health and happiness starts to cause undue worry, other areas of their lives begin to suffer too.
Sometimes children just need to talk to someone about their life. It could be a problem, a worry, or a fear. It could be a behaviour that’s causing problems. They often feel a need to make sense of it. Sometimes it’s more complicated and deep rooted. Whatever their story, I’ll do my best to help your child and your family move forward.
Qualifications & Experience
When working as a Primary School Teacher in South London for 7 years I realised I was much more interested in listening and speaking to children about their lives, hopes, and emotions than I was about teaching them facts!
I moved to Brighton and, upon starting my own family, retrained as a Psychodynamic counsellor at Sussex University.
- 2011 – 2018 I was the lead counsellor and clinical supervisor in Hove’s largest secondary school and sixth form.
- 2003 – 2011 I set up 5 primary school counselling services in Brighton city centre as the lead counsellor and supervisor.
- 2007 I qualified as a Clinical Supervisor with a Post-Grad Diploma from the University of Sussex.
- 1999 I qualified as a Psychodynamic Counsellor.
- 1991 – 1997 I was a primary school/special needs teacher in South London, Laughton, and Brighton.
- 1991 – I received my PGCE from Goldsmiths University.
- 1990 – I received my Psychology degree from the University of Bristol.
Why book a session with me?
I stopped working in state schools to start my own practice in 2018, wanting to provide affordable counselling for families in a peaceful, creative space.
- I have over 30 years experience working in schools and with young people as a teacher and therapist, so my contextual knowledge of structures and systems is second to none.
- My experience handling different issues young people face is vast.
- I have a solid history of connecting with young people – there hasn’t been many occasions when they haven’t wanted to return for another session.
- I’ve invested in building a fantastic space – The Shed! It’s filled with lots of creative, fun activities designed to inspire communication and and productivity.
- My knowledge of agencies and networks of support in and around Brighton and Hove is extensive.
- I’ve been supporting fellow professionals as a Clinical Supervisor for 12 years.
- I offer hugely affordable rates and concessions for low-income families.
- I’m a member Of BACP (British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists) and am frequently recommended via the Counselling Directory.